It was in 1864 that the Baptist Union sent the Revd. Charles Morgan to the then rapidly growing town of Jarrow, with the aim of establishing a Baptist witness in Jarrow. The Revd. Morgan was possessed of great enthusiasm and energy, who initially held open-air meetings, and then gatherings in the homes of believers. Within no time, services were being held in the Town’s Mechanics Institute and then, in 1867, Church premises were built. These now serve as our Church Halls, and are widely used by our congregation, as well as the local community.
The Revd. Morgan died in 1868, leaving behind a substantial community of believers and a very large Sunday School in both Jarrow and the neighbouring town of Hebburn.
The congregation continued to grow and in 1879 a new Church was built, which continues to serve as our sanctuary. At the beginning of the 20th Century some 700 people worshipped at the services but, since then the life of the Church has very much mirrored the life of Jarrow itself with the town’s former heavy industries now being a thing of the past and unemployment being consistently well above the national average. Thus, our total worshipping community stands at 50 persons, of which 27 are Church members.
Since its inception, Grange Road has experienced some 25 ministries, the present being that of Revd. Roy and Mrs Marilyn Merrin, who have served as the Ministry Team since February, 1983.
Whilst many adaptions and improvements have been made to the Church premises, over the past 150 years, and whilst there have been numerous changes to the ministries and community activities which have taken place, nevertheless the Church’s aim has remained the same. Namely, to show the love of Jesus Christ in both word and deed, and to bring people into a closer relationship with Him as living Lord.
A fuller history of the Church, up to the year 2000, is available from the Church Office.